Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wednesday

While Vera was at Vacation Bible School, I started shaping the last two nacelles for the B-36.  By the time the day was over I had one set done, but I will let them cure over night before taking them off the forms.  I went over and watched the twins play, always fun.  When I was watering the flowers and garden, I noticed a big zucchini, we got to looking and ended up with beets, carrots and a tomato also.  We ended up making our entire dinner out of the garden, a first this year.
I did not take any pictures today so I will use this one from last weekend.
This is the blow torch I bought at the Terry/Taylor garage sale, because it reminded me of the one dad had when I was a kid.  I can remember him using it to thaw pipes in the winter.  The torch works by filling the base with gas, pumping up pressure with the pump and then opening the valve to let some gas into the tray under the head of the torch.  Then, you lit the gas and let it burn to heat up the head until it would vaporize the gas so the torch would burn.  The hook on top is to hold a soldering iron in the flame to heat it up.  I can remember playing with it in the garage and not getting it hot enough before turning on the gas and shooting a stream of flaming gas onto the garage floor.  It is a wonder I did not burn the garage down.  I also had a jet engine that was supposed to work on the same principle.  I would mount it on a stick and suspend it from the rafters in the garage with a string.  After lighting the gas in it's tray, I would wait for it to start spinning around.  I can never remember it working very well, maybe that is why it  only cost $1.95 in Mechanics Illustrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

James and CVRCF BBQ

9-18-2024   James stopped by after student teaching today.  The teacher he is working with usually finds some reason to leave James alone wi...