Sunday, September 12, 2021

Flying at CVRCF

 
There was a club meeting of the Cowlitz Valley Radio Control Flyers today in Clatskanie.  It rained pretty good all the way to Longview and quit when we crossed the bridge to Oregon.  We stopped at the upper viewpoint where I used to fly radio controlled gliders and boy have the trees grown.  I wouldn't throw a glider off there now.

I turned and took a picture of the mill where I worked for forty years.  The bridge sure hasn't gotten any smoother since the last time I crossed it.
We took old Hwy 30 to Clatskanie, the route we took before they put in the new highway when ever we went to see our grandparents.  We stopped at the falls for some pictures.
They had a nice little pullout and it looks like a lot of people had slid down the bank to swim in the pool.  I can remember coming home from a visit and getting stuck trying to get across a low spot that was flooded.  Luckily they had a crew stationed there that towed us out and dried out the ignition with a pyrene fire extinguisher.
This is the CVRCF field at Clatskanie, I put in four flights on the MXS before the meeting and one after.  I had a good time meeting some new people and visiting with a couple of old friends.
Ken the club president is flying at the other end of the field.  The Jarvi house is across the slough on the right side of the picture.  I had my first model airplane flight from my grandparent's front yard and it ended up on this side to the slough.  I had been starting it, adjusting the engine and throwing it out over their mint field numerous times when one time it flew.  Of course it had a full tank of fuel and went way up.  Then we watched it go down on the other side of the slough.  Denny took us over there in his car and one of the group found it sitting right beside the slough undamaged.  I still have the engine that was on that the plane that day.
After the meeting we drove out passed the Jarvi house, it hasn't changed much since the last time we drove by except the barn is almost covered with berry vines.  On the way back I stopped and took a picture of the cinder cone I can remember it glowing cherry red many times when we were down there.  We stopped and had a nice visit with Mik, James and Jazz on the way home.  Jazz was really excited to see us, once we had both petted her she calmed right down and took a nap.  It was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

James and CVRCF BBQ

9-18-2024   James stopped by after student teaching today.  The teacher he is working with usually finds some reason to leave James alone wi...